Search

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Hospital Routine

Until fairly late in the day yesterday, I was still too sick to get too serious about the idea of going home. I had a meltdown in the mid-afternoon I simply couldnt handle the stress of all of my visitors, the conversation with the physical and occupational therapists, the rug rash I had picked up from the hospital sheets, the absence of any real "comforts" (except the hot blankets, which I ask for). Feeling uncomfortable and out of sorts, I burst into tears. Fortunately, this is not Bob's first rodeo and he took the outburst in stride.

I quickly got into my "routine". Early wake-up. Trip to the bathroom -- a big event (I wouldn't want to be desperate because it takes a lot just to get the knee immobilized so that I can get on my way). Pills -- the collection consists of Tylenol, vistaril (muscle relaxant), oxycontin. The vistaril is very helpful because of the muscle contracts in my upper and lower leg after the surgery. The first night, the medications kept me pretty well sedated. The second night, I slept well but was happy to wake up at about 4 AM. Last night, the napping during the day pretty much killed my night's sleep. I really couldn't get comfortable, no matter how I tossed and turned. At one point, I rolled up  my blankets one at a time and pitched them over to the chair.

I find myself looking forward to food, even though it is not too appetizing. Meals appear with a cover over the main course (not necessarily a main course, but sufficiently large to be given "main course" trappings). For some reason, I was reminded of the dinner tray scene (s?) in "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" http://www.joancrawfordbest.com/filmswhatever.htm.

One of my favorite nurses is Enrico ("Rico") Johnson.  He and all his siblings have very unlikely name combinations ... Rico is a great one for hospital "insider knowledge". Last night, I heard a "Code 21" over the broadcast system. At the University of Minnesota, a Code 21 is a call for the team that deals with "mental halth disturbances", or "violent outbursts". I think I'm going to incorporate "Code 21" into my personal shorthand.

At 4 AM, I figured I could get up witout calling too much attention to myself. Of course, getting up means going to the bathroom, taking the latest set of meds, begging for a cup of coffee, hauling out my laptop. I've been writing for awhile with the machine positioned on my good leg but I really need something of a repositioning.

I think I may be released ... this morning, I hope. Yesterday, I wondered if I would be ready but today I feel more able to cope. The only obstacle is the 12 noon start time for the Vikings vs. Cowboys game ...

1 comment:

  1. Lpve to read these.

    I tried an aquafit class this week and I'm actually heading back to the gym for a swim this morning.Looks like a cortisone shot may be avaiable in the next week or two.

    Hang in...I know you will make a quick and full recovery. Just think of Kathe who is dancing on her two ne knees now.

    ReplyDelete