Search

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Budget Woes

Minnesotans are justifiably pround of the quality of medical services in our state -- there aren't too many health issues that can't be addressed right here in the Twin Ciites.The Mayo Clinic is a favorite stop for patients who need answers. Even north central and northern Minnesota have state of the art medical facilities.

I'm alarmed that we may not keep pace. Budget cuts have hit the health care sector hard; there are visible signs everywhere. For the most part, I find the staff very competent and dedicated. The really good young ones are proud to be employees of this prestigious teaching hospital. Some others just have that dumb, dull look one finds everywhere, one of indifference and boredom. Some of the nursing assistants don't know how to use the equipment (e.g., continuous passive motion -- CPM -- machine) and just throw it on however it wil go. I sense a certain tension among the staff, between those who are good (and most do 90% of the work) and those who are simply here to get a paycheck.

The quality of the hospital facility varies from location to location. My room is poorly organized and cramped. The patient care paraphernalia is in various places around the roo. The hospital bed is many generations behind what is now "standard" in hospitals. There is no comfortable place to sit with my laptop. On the other hand, I had X-Rays yesterday in a brand new imaging wing where pictures were taken without the need for me to leave my wheelchair.

The young transport person told Chris and me that he had graduated in imaging (I forget the name of the diploma) but couldn't find a job. He figured he'd rather be working in a hospital close to the action than working somewhere else. He seemed so driven to serve that I hope he's successful in his job search.

No comments:

Post a Comment