Search

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Non compos mentis

Now I know what that expression means. I've been pretty much out of the picture since the surgery, drifing in and out of consciousness. I did watch CNN most of Thursday night and part of yesterday. That isn't my usual habit but TV is quite an entertainment package.

My check-in on Thursday went like clockwork, with the exception of the need for last minute cultures (I won't go into the details) because they had produced unsatisfactory results at my pre-op physical several weeks ago. I had no sedative at all until I was in the operating room. The OR really impressed me. Quite large, populated by a surgical team of 6 or so. Lots of supplies like gowns piled within reach. Do they change gowns midway thhrough the surgery? There was a very large patient tracking monitor and one end of the OR. It was very cold! The doctors, nurses and assistants were very matter of fact and I certainly didn' get the idea that I was their first knee replacement! When I woke up in the recovery room, I was told by several staff that the knee had been very bad and that no other option was possible -- maybe that's just standard cognitive consistency talk.

The first day I had no solid food at all and I don't expect to gain any weight here. How do you ruin a scrambled egg? Did it come out of a box? The coffee and tea, however, are not too bad. Nurses and others are of uneven  quality and competence. The night nurses seem to be the best. I had a nurse yesterday who was much nicer to Bob than she was to me. I am being quite a bitch, though, so maybe that influences the level of care.

I got email through the link I sent out from several people and I was really happy! A volunteer delivered mail at least twice yesterday, may three times. Bob, Chris and Becky have come to vist. The ADD has pretty much kicked in so I'm not a very good patient; I don't make my visitors feel good about themselves, so there's no need to hop in your car.

I have a small, poorly designed room ... but it has a great view of St. Paul. I keep the curtains open at night and, of course, all day. I've made the mistake of summoning the nurse by accidentally hitting the call button.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the surgery went well. Recovery is always the more difficult part. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can get some enjoyment out of your required downtime. Good reading opportunity, I bet! I will be thinking about you as you heal.

    ReplyDelete