Search

Friday, January 29, 2010

Caribou Coffee Date

Today, even I was tempted to stay in the house. I feel somewhat chilled much of the time and the weather looked so very cold! However, I successfully fought the inclination to spend the afternoon watching TV and headed out on the daily outing, a project that could never even be initiated without Bob's help and vigilance. He's the driver too, and I'm getting more than my share of destination choices.

Today, we headed to beautiful White Bear Lake, where an ice fishing contest tomorrow will be a main event of the St. Paul Winter Carnival. There were a log of ice houses out on the lake, and we saw a couple of trucks heading out to the ice house colony with portable houses and fresh provisions. A couple of smokers were sitting on the deck at the VFW -- that building used to be blue with smoke before Minnesota cracked down on smoking indoors a couple of years ago.

Another major milestone: I can get into the Yukon pretty well now, and today we dared to get out for a cup of coffee (tea, in my case) at Caribou Coffee in White Bear. I was a little afraid that I wouldn't be able to get back in the truck, because my strength diminishes later in the day. I was delighted that there was no problem at all either boarding or, just as important, disembarking safely. I still have this fear of strangers having to stuff me into the truck like an unwieldy heap of deer of other wild game.

I'm often asked if I'm in a lot of pain. That's a difficult question, because the pain in my knee feels more like the threat of pain than anything else. It is very stiff and the knee doesn't seem to tolerate cold. The muscles in my entire leg seem tired and "old". The muscle relaxant medication (vistaril) is somewhat helpful but I think it would take a very large dose to actually relax the leg. Except very occasionally, I take nothing but Tylenol; I am hoping the vistaril will help me sleep tonight, as I'm feeling a little tired already and would lover to have a good night's sleep -- later, though, not quite yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment