Search

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day after the Night Before

Woke up at 6 AM feeling as though I should be wearing a lampshade on my head. Must be much more of a party animal than I had previously imagined. Wait! No party. The "lendemain de la veille" feeling involved no fancy drinks. Just a drug hangover. Well, that's reassuring!

Seriously, feeling better now. I'll have Bob help me wash my hair in a little while, and then dress for PT at 11 AM http://www.athleticmedicine.org/Clinics/c_144265.asp. The weather here is warm, so I think I'll put on my shorts here and head out ready for a workout. I am feeling a trifle apprehensive about physical therapy!

The last time I did any significant physical therapy, I was recovering from 2007 knee surgery on my left leg (the other one). For some reason, when I was doing one of the exercises that involved "climbing down" a wall, my leg slipped like a free falling elevator. The pain was agonizing; I have quite a voice, and my vocabulary can be colorful ... anyway, they packed me up and pushed me out of the clinic door faster than I could say "let's try that again!".

The synapses seem a little slow this morning ... my mind gets lost in these simple little stories. I'll have another report from the field later on, when my IQ begins to inch up.

2 comments:

  1. When the Irish resident slipped an IV into my hand at the hospital this morning she asked me if I wanted 1 gin & tonic or two :)I think it went well.It takes a few days to kick in and I will get two more shots -- i when I come back from Florida in late February & one a few weeks later.I would love to be able to kick away the cane and donate the walker to my mother but I think that's weeks or months away.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you have total anesthesia, Cath? I hope not. I had an epidural plus a drip. A friend had described it as feeling like you've had two bottles of wine. Of course I would have no idea what that's like, but I did feel pleasantly sozzled. The delightful sound effects (like a commercial for power tools) were heard away in the distance but they were nothing to do with me. During the first op I remember discussing music with the anesthetists (one Russian and one Israeli - I love Canada!), and the second time was during the Beijing Olympics, which provided great topics for conversation with thesurgical team.

    ReplyDelete