Search

Monday, January 25, 2010

Graduation to a Cane

After the Vikings' stunning, heart-breaking 31-28 overtime loss to to hte Saints in the NFC championship, I felt that I needed some good news today. Headed out to physical therapy at about 9:30 AM, a little fearful of slipping on the fresh snow that had coated the deck during the night.

A very old woman shuffled into the PT waiting room shortly after I arrived. I watched her workout as I went through mine, afraid that she would trip on the carpeting in the gym, especially since was wearing a pair of outdoor boots, with an inflexible rubber sole. She almost did fall once, and I reflected that if she had fallen, I would have been off the hook in the help department with all those physical therapists in the building.

I started on the stationary bike today and am very close to getting my leg to do a full rotation -- maybe later this week. When I got back to the waiting room, Bob had already worked over the other patients' companions, and I learned that the elderly woman was also recovering from knee replacement surgery. Bob joked that here she was, a week after surgery, walking unaided! My sense of humor is somewhat diminished these days, and I was furious that such an unlikely candidate was recovering better than I.

Of course, we have no idea how along that woman is in her recovery! I did decide, though, that it was time to ditch the crutches, at least in the house. I've been making short hops without the crutches, but didn't go any "distance" before today. Thinking that I still needed some support, Bob resurrected his old cane and I welcome the luxury of a free hand..

I'll be afraid to head outdoors crutch-less, but I have a feeling that the crutches may have a limited future. I have a crazy vision of dropping them off at St. Joseph's Oratory in Montreal.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Cath, just enjoying some lunch-time reading of your blog at work. I work with post-op knee patients daily, and it's enlightening to hear what their thoughts are about the recovery period long after they've been discharged from the hospital and I never hear from them again. I too was surprised to hear that you've been going to outpatient physical therapy instead of home care therapy immediately post knee replacement, but it sounds like you're doing great! For curiousities sake, how many degrees knee bend are you getting?

    From your physical therapist from a far, Laura

    ReplyDelete