Search

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Achievement of the Day

I woke up this morning feeling somewhat unmotivated. My first phone call of the day was to the clinic at the U, because I had almost run out of the blood-thinner, Coumadin, a drug I'll be taking for another couple fo weeks to prevent blood clot formation. The nurse was surprised that I have been going to physical therapy at the Institute for Athletic Medicine about 1.5 miles away, rather than have a therapist come to the house. I did know that home therapy is available, but I also know that I getting out every day is important to my mental health.

Later, I enjoyed talking to Jim Darling, whose wife has had both knees replaced in the last year or so. It's encouraging to hear that Maryellen is now painfree. I find the painfree state hard to imagine at this point, but it's good to know that there may be some pain relief in my future after all.

I have been whining to get into Bob's cushy, comfortable GMC Yukon rather than my Ford Focus, which has never been too great for the knees, even under good circumstances. Bob, on the other hand, was afraid that I might slip and that he, of course, would be blamed for even letting me out of the house into the winter ice. As it turned out, hoisting myself up into the front seat wasn't difficult, once we figured out the best way to get the job done.

I'm happy to be walking around the house unaided for much of the day and am beginning to think that I am doing pretty well, overall. I hope I've reached the summit of my preoccupation with the knee, and will soon be able to think about other things. For now, though, I'm looking forward to the good night's sleep that eluded me last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment