Search

Thursday, February 18, 2010

5 Weeks!

The knee is 5 weeks old today. After the usual morning stiffness, I popped a couple of Tylenol before heading out to PT. Despite my apprehension, I pedaled fast for about 15 minutes and, by the time I got off the bike, the knee was totally painfree. Am pressing 70 lbs. on the leg press. Bent the knee to 113 degrees, so the 120 degree goal seems attainable.

By mid afternoon the heavy feeling in the right leg had returned and I walked gingerly when we went out to run a few errands around 3 PM. After all these months, I finally visited Trader Joe's on Randolph. The store is very attractive and well laid out. The shoppers were all very respectful of the cane, so there was less stress walking around in a crowded area.

The day's efforts were very successful but pain is getting me down right now and I feel totally wiped out. I think I'll break down and have a couple of the stronger painkillers before I go to bed. I'd like to reduce the recovery time from physical therapy to 24 rather than 48 hours.

Watching the Olympic women's combined (downhill & slalom) earlier this evening, I really wonder how those athletes manage to come back from their injuries, both quickly and with great success. I think there's a fine line between pushing oneself a bit too far, thereby achieving more, and living on the edge all the time, with an inevitable crash and burn at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment