Search

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Building Stamina

Monday was a physical therapy day and I was encouraged to be able to add some resistance to the pedals on the stationary bike, and leg press 80 pounds. I started with 40 pounds 5 weeks ago and have been adding weight and increasing the number of repetitions ever since. Am now bending the knee to 115 degrees. I went out to Kohl's and Target in the afternoon, and was not too tired when I got home.

As usual, the knee was hurting big time last night and I caved and took one of the narcotic painkillers that were given to me when I left the hospital. I still didn't sleep well until it was almost time to get up, later than usual at 6:30.

Today, the knee is stiff as it usually is the day after PT. I went out with Bob this morning, and then we had lunch and got our hair cut. The pain has receded and I am hopeful that I won't find myself popping Tylenol after dinner. It is mid-afternoon now and I wish I could go out for a nice walk around the block, but the temperature is cold again and there hasn't been much melting today. Still too much ice on the sidewalks.

The point that I set out to make when I sat down to write this is that my stamina is improving. However, to my surprise I am tired right now after the activities of the morning and early afternoon, and I am thinking of putitng my head down for half an hour or so. I am not usually a napper, so I don't know what to think of this desire for afternoon sleep.

Maybe I'll just give in to temptation ...

No comments:

Post a Comment