Search

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Time for a New Cane

Another milestone: I went down to the basement today. I'd been afraid to try because there's no railing for the first four stairs, and the railing in place on the lower steps is a little shaky for someone who really needs it for support.

Chris and Becky came over this evening and it was great to see them. We ordered Chinese from Cleveland Wok, so much food that I sent most of it home with them. I did start to fade at about 8:15 and they went home. I am very tired now but I do want to see the last Jay Leno Show, so I'll have to make it for another hour.

Today I realized that I would probably be fine with a cane outdoors. While I like the security of the crutches, they tend to get in the way and I think I would be happier with a cane. But not the cane I have ...

The cane I've been using in the house, only when my knee is stiff at the beginning and end of the day, is a relic from the years after Bob broke his leg in our 1985 motorcycle wreck. It's an aluminum beauty with a "prison issue" look about it, shaped like a candy cane, and a little tall for me. I think I can find something that will give me the stability that I need to feel jaunty -- well, maybe not jaunty, but safe -- in our beautiful but occasionally treacherous winter weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment