Search

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Made it through 10 Weeks!

I never imagined even a month ago that I would be as ambulatory as I am. The cane hasn't been touched since we got back from Florida and the knee is pretty good. Unfortunately, the other knee feels like hell and now I know why people often seem to have a second knee done so soon after the first. If I didn't have a job to go to (and I'm grateful that I do!), I would schedule the second knee as soon as possible, even though it would mean no biking for another couple of months. As it is, the earliest I can plan surgery on the left knee will be the fall of 2011.

Last weekend, I was a lector at 5 PM Saturday Mass and I had no trouble processing down the aisle to the sanctuary, though I did ask the other lector to carry the Book of the Gospels. Last thing I need is to trip on the altar steps in front of a churchload of worshipers. I don't mind being the center of attention, but not under those circumstances. No point in pressing my luck, so I did not kneel at all. I'm quite sure now that I'll be OK reading the Passion on Good Friday, and walking toward the altar in the candlelight at the Easter Vigil.

I've been walking over my lunch hour most days, and I think I'll try a junket to Highland Village (a mile or so) sometime this weekend. I can make Wild Birds Unlimited my destination and load up on my favorite birdware and rations. I've been very busy at work every day and I have to admit that I'm tired by the time I get home, though refreshed by mid-evening. My fear of being unable to wrap my mind around work tasks with reasonable intelligence did not materialize, and my stamina is reasonably good.

My one concession to my occasionally hobbled state was the use of a disability parking space downtown St. Paul on Thursday afternoon. I had lunch with my friend Mary Jo, and then headed to a meeting at the Department of Commerce. I drove downtown -- rare for me -- because I thought I might be dragging in the late afternoon, after walking plenty during the day. The decision was correct: I was happy to ride up the hill for the last hour at my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment