Search

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Best Ever Recovery from Total Knee Arthroplasty

I've never had too much interest in being "average"; I tend to prefer the extremes. Early on in the total knee replacement "process", I decided that I was going to be better than everyone else in every possible way. I worked on the post-op exercises for about a month and figured that I was about as prepared as anyone could be for this surgery.

I got out of bed as soon as I could. Started walking right away and re-mastered the art of crutches. Thanks to Scott's work on railings, I felt secure hauling myself up and down the stairs. By yesterday, I was ready for the first "real" post-op test. I waltzed through the strength, mobility and range of motion exercises with the physiotherapist. After making quite an impression on the clinic staff, I walked out jauntily with my exercise program in hand.

And then I hit the wall -- not literally, fortunately. I spent the rest of Wednesday feeling tired out, stressed out and in pain all over. My right tibia still feels as though someone took a hammer to it. My feet have been so stretched than I wonder if I'll ever experience "normal" again. I am very happy that I don't have PT again until Monday!

Meanwhile, I had hoped to go out for lunch today but freezing rain has made the landscape overly dangerous, at least for now. I may yet revisit my goal of having the "best ever recovery", but for now I'll be happy to get through the day in relative comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment