Search

Monday, February 15, 2010

360 on the Bike

My knee was sore during the night and I actually contemplated getting up to take a couple of acetominophen, but the pills don't sit well on an empty stomach so I slept fitfully for a couple of hours before getting up at 5. I felt much better sitting in an armchair, knees bent at 90 degrees, reading the newspaper. The knee was very stiff, though, so I wondered how physical therapy would go later in the morning.

Several inches of snow had fallen during the night so I was glad to see the sun helping Bob with the snow clearing job. There wasn't much ice when I left the house, so all I had to tackle was a little snow on the sidewalk in front of the clinic.

I was very pessimistic when I stepped on the stationary bike. After a few tentative arcs, I decided to try the 360 backward cycle, and was surprised that it was easy to pedal. After a few minutes, I felt compelled to pedal forward, knowing that Allison would ask me if I had tried. To my surprise, the leg slid right around and I continued "comme si rien n'était" for another 5 minutes. I was stunned and absolutely thrilled. I am starting to believe that I'll be able to make my "April on the bike" goal, as long as the snow melts in time.

I bent the knee to 110 degrees, at least I think that was the number, without help. I strutted out into the winter sunshine in my shorts, feeling very confident about the future. The downside: pain now, not really debilitating, but bad enough so that I think I should take something for it. Hope to postpone that until bedtime.

I've never really had much success with physical therapy before. I credit the great work of my surgeon, Dr. Elizabeth Arendt, and the clever PT regime designed by Allison Trombley.

No comments:

Post a Comment