Search

Sunday, February 14, 2010

One Month Anniversary

A month ago, I was already in my hospital room after surgery, feeling very vulnerable and wondering what I had signed up for! I feel pretty good today.

I did pay for "overdoing" it yesterday on my successful driving junket. I was exhausted in the evening and went up to bed shortly before nine. I was asleep shortly after Apolo Ohno won his silver medal in the 1500 m. speed skating race. My knee was sore in the nasty, sharp way it used to flare up after I had walked too far. It woke me up several times during the night, but I still managed to sleep fairly well. Got up shortly after 5, refreshed and ready to go.

Today I've babied it a little, walking only short distances and foregoing anything strenuous. My stair exercises are automatic now, and they don't hurt the raw, tender muscle on the inside of the knee. We went to 8:15 mass this morning, and it was quite a bit easier this week than last. Partly because of the cane, I think, and partly because my mobility is much improved. We had breakfast at Joseph's. It's amazing how different a place looks when one is concerned about heavy doors, fast moving people, rugs on the floor, wet tiles.

This afternoon we drove to the lock in Hastings where we saw a big bald eagle fishing in the open water, and a very large pair of eagles roosting in a tree. An awesome sight.

Snow tonight, and of course I feel a little apprehensive about going out in the morning. I am fearful of patches of ice under fresh snow, even though I am more proficient at catching myself now.

No comments:

Post a Comment