Search

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Managing Pain

Many years ago, I had a sore foot but decided that I would go out for my usual walk anyway. At the time, the phrase "working through the pain" was popular -- the weak gave up but those of stronger character forged forward, made even tougher by conquering pain while achieving fitness. By the time I got home from the walk, I could barely move and, after a miserable weekend writhing on the couch, a Monday morning x-ray revealed a small broken bone. Since then, I have been very skeptical of the value of working through the pain.

The knee is very painful for about 48 hours after physical therapy. I question whether I am trying to do too much, too fast, but every session seems to improve my mobility, balance and ability to execute the tasks of daily living. And there certainly doesn't seem to be any lasting damage.

Today I was outside most of the afternoon, watching Bob remove snow from the roof and work in the garage. I feel better with some color in my face, even though my enjoyment of the outdoors is passive, at least for a little while longer.

Once again, I slept fitfully last night, at least partly because of unremitting knee pain. I didn't help the situation by having coffee after dinner so that I wouldn't conk out at 9 PM. This evening, no coffee. Pain seems to be diminishing, so maybe I'll get a good night's rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment