Search

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Water: the Great Equalizer

The sun shone brightly today and I headed to the pool in the late afternoon. I'm not sure that I've ever seen someone show up at a pool or beach with a cane ... but there I was. I slipped into the water as easily as I did in the Dominican Republic two months ago, and it felt so great!

I swam a front crawl a little tentatively, afraid that a kick would trigger the medial "catch", but the stroke was as natural as it has been all my life. What a liberating experience! Treading water using the "bicycle" kick was effortless and painfree. In the water, no one would ever have guessed that my knee replacement surgery was only 6 weeks ago.

I walked a lot today, both before and after the pool. I almost forgot my cane twice, but I was grateful for it on uneven terrain at the Merritt Island Nature Preserve, and after dinner this evening as I walked down the ramp leaving the Cocoa Beach Pier.

The cold air on bare legs has cooled the usually warmish right knee.This was a good and successful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment