Search

Monday, March 1, 2010

Pool Exercises

We spent most of this very pleasant afternoon by the pool. There was a very active family of three boys playing in the water when we arrived, and I felt a sudden surge of panic as I contemplated getting down the stairs into the water. I was also a little self conscious: the cane and my long scar seemed so conspicuous. I'm not sure that I've ever seen anyone leave a cane poolside while swimming.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed and I was soon in the pool. I forced myself to tread water and to do some knee bends during two sessions in the water, and I felt quite strong by late afternoon when we headed over to the beach.

I ditched the cane and headed over to the water, still in my beach cover-up. I was tempted to take it off, but I feared the admonitions of my vigilant keeper, because walking toward the water in a swimsuit would have been a step away from a swim in the ocean. The waves are not very high, and I'm pretty sure that I would be fine in the surf. The water is a little cold, and only the bravest of little boys are swimming. I can hardly stand it.

I walked at least half a mile today. Nothing for my old self, but significant for the new me. I went without a cane on the beach, and I felt my balance improving with every step. I wonder if I'm not getting a little too cocky?

No comments:

Post a Comment