Search

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Simple Walk and a Bike Ride

I am usually tired at the end of the day, both physically and mentally. However, for some reason, I felt like going for a walk last Friday after dinner. It was a beautiful spring evening, cool but pleasant, and the sun was beginning to fall in the western sky over Minneapolis. I walked west on Goodrich, across Cretin and through the lower campus of the St. Paul Seminary. It was almost dark  by the time I reached the north side of Summit, so I decided not to walk across the upper St. Thomas campus, between the new construction and the library.

The walk was effortless and faster than what has been my new slow pace. I was home in no time and thrilled with myself. The next day, Bob suggested a bike ride and I figured it was time to test the new knee on an effort that would require balance and a little strength. I test drove it up and down the alley and decided that I was good to go.

The ride itself was problem free, and the only thing that threw me a little was some fatigue crossing the Lake Street Bridge toward the end of the 8-1/2 mile ride. I also disliked the traffic, but that had nothing to do with the knee. On Sunday, I was none the worse for wear.

Both knees have been stiff this week, but the new knee is decidedly better than the train wreck left one. Yesterday was the three-month anniversary of the new knee. I see Dr. Arendt on Tuesday ... and expect to write the last entry to this blog then. It's been quite a ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment